Figure Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FigureDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A mode of expressing abstract or immaterial ideas by words which suggest pictures or images from the physical world; pictorial language; a trope; hence, any deviation from the plainest form of statement.
- (n.) The form of anything; shape; outline; appearance.
- (n.) To embellish with design; to adorn with figures.
- (n.) To indicate by numerals; also, to compute.
- (v. t.) To make a figure; to be distinguished or conspicious; as, the envoy figured at court.
- (n.) The appearance or impression made by the conduct or carrer of a person; as, a sorry figure.
- (n.) Distinguished appearance; magnificence; conspicuous representation; splendor; show.
- (n.) The representation of any form, as by drawing, painting, modeling, carving, embroidering, etc.; especially, a representation of the human body; as, a figure in bronze; a figure cut in marble.
- (v. t.) To calculate; to contrive; to scheme; as, he is figuring to secure the nomination.
- (n.) Value, as expressed in numbers; price; as, the goods are estimated or sold at a low figure.
- (n.) To represent by a figure, as to form or mold; to make an image of, either palpable or ideal; also, to fashion into a determinate form; to shape.
- (n.) The form of a syllogism with respect to the relative position of the middle term.
- (n.) A form of melody or accompaniment kept up through a strain or passage; a musical or motive; a florid embellishment.
- (n.) A person, thing, or action, conceived of as analogous to another person, thing, or action, of which it thus becomes a type or representative.
- (n.) A pattern in cloth, paper, or other manufactured article; a design wrought out in a fabric; as, the muslin was of a pretty figure.
- (n.) Any short succession of notes, either as melody or as a group of chords, which produce a single complete and distinct impression.
- (n.) To embellish.
- (n.) A diagram or drawing; made to represent a magnitude or the relation of two or more magnitudes; a surface or space inclosed on all sides; -- called superficial when inclosed by lines, and solid when inclosed by surface; any arrangement made up of points, lines, angles, surfaces, etc.
- (n.) To write over or under the bass, as figures or other characters, in order to indicate the accompanying chords.
- (n.) A horoscope; the diagram of the aspects of the astrological houses.
- (n.) A character or symbol representing a number; a numeral; a digit; as, 1, 2,3, etc.
- (n.) To prefigure; to foreshow.
- (n.) Any one of the several regular steps or movements made by a dancer.
- (n.) To represent by a metaphor; to signify or symbolize.
• FiguredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Not literal; figurative.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Figure
- (a.) Free and florid; as, a figured descant. See Figurate, 3.
- (a.) Adorned with figures; marked with figures; as, figured muslin.
- (a.) Indicated or noted by figures.