Fire Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FireDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cause to explode; as, to fire a torpedo; to disharge; as, to fire a musket or cannon; to fire cannon balls, rockets, etc.
- (n.) Anything which destroys or affects like fire.
- (v. t.) To light up as if by fire; to illuminate.
- (n.) Liveliness of imagination or fancy; intellectual and moral enthusiasm; capacity for ardor and zeal.
- (v. t.) To subject to intense heat; to bake; to burn in a kiln; as, to fire pottery.
- (n.) Splendor; brilliancy; luster; hence, a star.
- (n.) The evolution of light and heat in the combustion of bodies; combustion; state of ignition.
- (v. t.) To animate; to give life or spirit to; as, to fire the genius of a young man.
- (n.) Fuel in a state of combustion, as on a hearth, or in a stove or a furnace.
- (v. t.) To drive by fire.
- (v. i.) To take fire; to be kindled; to kindle.
- (n.) The discharge of firearms; firing; as, the troops were exposed to a heavy fire.
- (n.) Torture by burning; severe trial or affliction.
- (v. t.) To inflame; to irritate, as the passions; as, to fire the soul with anger, pride, or revenge.
- (v. t.) To set on fire; to kindle; as, to fire a house or chimney; to fire a pile.
- (v. i.) To be irritated or inflamed with passion.
- (n.) Ardor of passion, whether love or hate; excessive warmth; consuming violence of temper.
- (n.) The burning of a house or town; a conflagration.
- (v. t.) To feed or serve the fire of; as, to fire a boiler.
- (v. i.) To discharge artillery or firearms; as, they fired on the town.
- (v. t.) To cauterize.
• FirecrestDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A small European kinglet (Regulus ignicapillus), having a bright red crest; -- called also fire-crested wren.
• FirearmDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A gun, pistol, or any weapon from a shot is discharged by the force of an explosive substance, as gunpowder.