Flute Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FluteDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To play, whistle, or sing with a clear, soft note, like that of a flute.
- (n.) A similar channel or groove made in wood or other material, esp. in plaited cloth, as in a ladys ruffle.
- (n.) A long French breakfast roll.
- (v. i.) A channel of curved section; -- usually applied to one of a vertical series of such channels used to decorate columns and pilasters in classical architecture. See Illust. under Base, n.
- (v. t.) To form flutes or channels in, as in a column, a ruffle, etc.
- (n.) A kind of flyboat; a storeship.
- (v. i.) To play on, or as on, a flute; to make a flutelike sound.
- (v. i.) A musical wind instrument, consisting of a hollow cylinder or pipe, with holes along its length, stopped by the fingers or by keys which are opened by the fingers. The modern flute is closed at the upper end, and blown with the mouth at a lateral hole.
- (n.) A stop in an organ, having a flutelike sound.
• FluterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who makes grooves or flutings.
- (n.) One who plays on the flute; a flutist or flautist.