Gall Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GallDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Impudence; brazen assurance.
- (n.) Anything extremely bitter; bitterness; rancor.
- (v. t.) To impregnate with a decoction of gallnuts.
- (v. t.) To fret and wear away by friction; to hurt or break the skin of by rubbing; to chafe; to injure the surface of by attrition; as, a saddle galls the back of a horse; to gall a mast or a cable.
- (v. i.) To scoff; to jeer.
- (n.) The bitter, alkaline, viscid fluid found in the gall bladder, beneath the liver. It consists of the secretion of the liver, or bile, mixed with that of the mucous membrane of the gall bladder.
- (n.) An excrescence of any form produced on any part of a plant by insects or their larvae. They are most commonly caused by small Hymenoptera and Diptera which puncture the bark and lay their eggs in the wounds. The larvae live within the galls. Some galls are due to aphids, mites, etc. See Gallnut.
- (v. t.) To injure; to harass; to annoy; as, the troops were galled by the shot of the enemy.
- (v. t.) To fret; to vex; as, to be galled by sarcasm.
- (n.) The gall bladder.
- (n.) A wound in the skin made by rubbing.
• GallantingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Gallant
• GalligaskinsDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n. pl.) Loose hose or breeches; leather leg quards. The word is used loosely and often in a jocose sense.