General Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GeneralDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) The roll of the drum which calls the troops together; as, to beat the general.
- (a.) Common to many, or the greatest number; widely spread; prevalent; extensive, though not universal; as, a general opinion; a general custom.
- (a.) The chief of an order of monks, or of all the houses or congregations under the same rule.
- (a.) The whole; the total; that which comprehends or relates to all, or the chief part; -- opposed to particular.
- (a.) Usual; common, on most occasions; as, his general habit or method.
- (a.) Not restrained or limited to a precise import; not specific; vague; indefinite; lax in signification; as, a loose and general expression.
- (a.) The public; the people; the vulgar.
- (a.) Having a relation to all; common to the whole; as, Adam, our general sire.
- (a.) As a whole; in gross; for the most part.
- (a.) Comprehending many species or individuals; not special or particular; including all particulars; as, a general inference or conclusion.
- (a.) One of the chief military officers of a government or country; the commander of an army, of a body of men not less than a brigade. In European armies, the highest military rank next below field marshal.
- (a.) Relating to a genus or kind; pertaining to a whole class or order; as, a general law of animal or vegetable economy.
• GeneralizableDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Capable of being generalized, or reduced to a general form of statement, or brought under a general rule.