Glide Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GlideDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act or manner of moving smoothly, swiftly, and without labor or obstruction.
- (v. i.) To move gently and smoothly; to pass along without noise, violence, or apparent effort; to pass rapidly and easily, or with a smooth, silent motion, as a river in its channel, a bird in the air, a skater over ice.
- (n.) A transitional sound in speech which is produced by the changing of the mouth organs from one definite position to another, and with gradual change in the most frequent cases; as in passing from the begining to the end of a regular diphthong, or from vowel to consonant or consonant to vowel in a syllable, or from one component to the other of a double or diphthongal consonant (see Guide to Pronunciation, // 19, 161, 162). Also (by Bell and others), the vanish (or brief final element) or the brief initial element, in a class of diphthongal vowels, or the brief final or initial part of some consonants (see Guide to Pronunciation, // 18, 97, 191).
- (n.) The glede or kite.
- (v. i.) To pass with a glide, as the voice.
- (v. i.) To move through the air by virtue of gravity or momentum; to volplane.
- (n.) Movement of a glider, aeroplane, etc., through the air under gravity or its own movement.
• GlidenDefinition & Meaning in English
- () p. p. of Glide.