Graves Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GravesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n. pl.) The sediment of melted tallow. Same as Greaves.
• GraveDefinition & Meaning in English
- (superl.) Not light or gay; solemn; sober; plain; as, a grave color; a grave face.
- (superl.) Slow and solemn in movement.
- (n.) To impress deeply (on the mind); to fix indelibly.
- (n.) To dig. [Obs.] Chaucer.
- (v. i.) To write or delineate on hard substances, by means of incised lines; to practice engraving.
- (v. t.) To clean, as a vessels bottom, of barnacles, grass, etc., and pay it over with pitch; -- so called because graves or greaves was formerly used for this purpose.
- (superl.) Not acute or sharp; low; deep; -- said of sound; as, a grave note or key.
- (superl.) Of great weight; heavy; ponderous.
- (n.) To entomb; to bury.
- (n.) To carve out or give shape to, by cutting with a chisel; to sculpture; as, to grave an image.
- (n.) An excavation in the earth as a place of burial; also, any place of interment; a tomb; a sepulcher. Hence: Death; destruction.
- (superl.) Of importance; momentous; weighty; influential; sedate; serious; -- said of character, relations, etc.; as, grave deportment, character, influence, etc.
- (n.) To carve or cut, as letters or figures, on some hard substance; to engrave.
• Graves diseaseDefinition & Meaning in English
- () Same as Basedows disease.
• GravestoneDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A stone laid over, or erected near, a grave, usually with an inscription, to preserve the memory of the dead; a tombstone.