Guard Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GuardDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) A man, or body of men, stationed to protect or control a person or position; a watch; a sentinel.
- (v. t.) A fence or rail to prevent falling from the deck of a vessel.
- (n.) To keep watch over, in order to prevent escape or restrain from acts of violence, or the like.
- (v. t.) An extension of the deck of a vessel beyond the hull; esp., in side-wheel steam vessels, the framework of strong timbers, which curves out on each side beyond the paddle wheel, and protects it and the shaft against collision.
- (v. i.) To watch by way of caution or defense; to be caution; to be in a state or position of defense or safety; as, careful persons guard against mistakes.
- (v. t.) Watch; heed; care; attention; as, to keep guard.
- (v. t.) One who has charge of a mail coach or a railway train; a conductor.
- (n.) To fasten by binding; to gird.
- (v. t.) Ornamental lace or hem protecting the edge of a garment.
- (n.) To protect the edge of, esp. with an ornamental border; hence, to face or ornament with lists, laces, etc.
- (v. t.) Any fixture or attachment designed to protect or secure against injury, soiling, or defacement, theft or loss
- (v. t.) One who, or that which, guards from injury, danger, exposure, or attack; defense; protection.
- (v. t.) A posture of defense in fencing, and in bayonet and saber exercise.
- (v. t.) That part of a sword hilt which protects the hand.
- (v. t.) A plate of metal, beneath the stock, or the lock frame, of a gun or pistol, having a loop, called a bow, to protect the trigger.
- (v. t.) An interleaved strip at the back, as in a scrap book, to guard against its breaking when filled.
- (v. t.) The fibrous sheath which covers the phragmacone of the Belemnites.
- (v. t.) A chain or cord for fastening a watch to ones person or dress.
- (n.) To protect from danger; to secure against surprise, attack, or injury; to keep in safety; to defend; to shelter; to shield from surprise or attack; to protect by attendance; to accompany for protection; to care for.
- (v. t.) An expression or admission intended to secure against objections or censure.
• GuardianageDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Guardianship.
• GuarderDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who guards.