Hall Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HallDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The chief room in a castle or manor house, and in early times the only public room, serving as the place of gathering for the lords family with the retainers and servants, also for cooking and eating. It was often contrasted with the bower, which was the private or sleeping apartment.
- (n.) Cleared passageway in a crowd; -- formerly an exclamation.
- (n.) A college in an English university (at Oxford, an unendowed college).
- (n.) Any corridor or passage in a building.
- (n.) A building or room of considerable size and stateliness, used for public purposes; as, Westminster Hall, in London.
- (n.) The apartment in which English university students dine in common; hence, the dinner itself; as, hall is at six oclock.
- (n.) A vestibule, entrance room, etc., in the more elaborated buildings of later times.
- (n.) A name given to many manor houses because the magistrates court was held in the hall of his mansion; a chief mansion house.
• HallierDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A kind of net for catching birds.