Hit Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HitDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To guess; to light upon or discover.
- () 3d pers. sing. pres. of Hide, contracted from hideth.
- (v. t.) To reach with a stroke or blow; to strike or touch, usually with force; especially, to reach or touch (an object aimed at).
- (v. t.) To take up, or replace by a piece belonging to the opposing player; -- said of a single unprotected piece on a point.
- (v. i.) To meet or come in contact; to strike; to clash; -- followed by against or on.
- (n.) A game won at backgammon after the adversary has removed some of his men. It counts less than a gammon.
- (v. t.) To reach or attain exactly; to meet according to the occasion; to perform successfully; to attain to; to accord with; to be conformable to; to suit.
- (n.) A stroke of success in an enterprise, as by a fortunate chance; as, he made a hit.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hit
- (n.) A striking of the ball; as, a safe hit; a foul hit; -- sometimes used specifically for a base hit.
- (n.) A striking against; the collision of one body against another; the stroke that touches anything.
- (n.) A peculiarly apt expression or turn of thought; a phrase which hits the mark; as, a happy hit.
- (v. i.) To meet or reach what was aimed at or desired; to succeed, -- often with implied chance, or luck.
- (pron.) It.
• Hit.Definition & Meaning in English
- (adj.) having become very popular or acclaimed; -- said of entertainment performances; as, a hit record, a hit movie.