Hooped Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HoopedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hoop
• HoopDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A shout; a whoop, as in whooping cough.
- (n.) A ring; a circular band; anything resembling a hoop, as the cylinder (cheese hoop) in which the curd is pressed in making cheese.
- (v. t.) To clasp; to encircle; to surround.
- (v. t.) To bind or fasten with hoops; as, to hoop a barrel or puncheon.
- (n.) An old measure of capacity, variously estimated at from one to four pecks.
- (v. t.) To drive or follow with a shout.
- (v. t.) To call by a shout or peculiar cry.
- (n.) A circle, or combination of circles, of thin whalebone, metal, or other elastic material, used for expanding the skirts of ladies dresses; crinoline; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- (n.) A pliant strip of wood or metal bent in a circular form, and united at the ends, for holding together the staves of casks, tubs, etc.
- (n.) A quart pot; -- so called because originally bound with hoops, like a barrel. Also, a portion of the contents measured by the distance between the hoops.
- (v. i.) To whoop, as in whooping cough. See Whoop.
- (v. i.) To utter a loud cry, or a sound imitative of the word, by way of call or pursuit; to shout.
- (n.) The hoopoe. See Hoopoe.