Mantle Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MantleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Same as Mantling.
- (n.) The back of a bird together with the folded wings.
- (v. i.) To unfold and spread out the wings, like a mantle; -- said of hawks. Also used figuratively.
- (n.) The outer wall and casing of a blast furnace, above the hearth.
- (n.) A mantel. See Mantel.
- (n.) A loose garment to be worn over other garments; an enveloping robe; a cloak. Hence, figuratively, a covering or concealing envelope.
- (n.) A penstock for a water wheel.
- (v. i.) To spread out; -- said of wings.
- (v. i.) To spread over the surface as a covering; to overspread; as, the scum mantled on the pool.
- (v. i.) To gather, assume, or take on, a covering, as froth, scum, etc.
- (n.) Any free, outer membrane.
- (v. t.) To cover or envelop, as with a mantle; to cloak; to hide; to disguise.
- (n.) The external fold, or folds, of the soft, exterior membrane of the body of a mollusk. It usually forms a cavity inclosing the gills. See Illusts. of Buccinum, and Byssus.
• MantledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Mantle