Matched Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MatchedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Match
• MatchDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v.) Equality of conditions in contest or competition.
- (v. t.) To make or procure the equal of, or that which is exactly similar to, or corresponds with; as, to match a vase or a horse; to match cloth.
- (v. t.) To fit together, or make suitable for fitting together; specifically, to furnish with a tongue and a groove, at the edges; as, to match boards.
- (n.) Anything used for catching and retaining or communicating fire, made of some substance which takes fire readily, or remains burning some time; esp., a small strip or splint of wood dipped at one end in a substance which can be easily ignited by friction, as a preparation of phosphorus or chlorate of potassium.
- (v.) A candidate for matrimony; one to be gained in marriage.
- (v. t.) To be a mate or match for; to be able to complete with; to rival successfully; to equal.
- (v. t.) To marry; to give in marriage.
- (v. t.) To make equal, proportionate, or suitable; to adapt, fit, or suit (one thing to another).
- (v. i.) To be united in marriage; to mate.
- (v.) A matrimonial union; a marriage.
- (v.) An agreement, compact, etc.
- (v.) A contest to try strength or skill, or to determine superiority; an emulous struggle.
- (v.) Suitable combination or bringing together; that which corresponds or harmonizes with something else; as, the carpet and curtains are a match.
- (v. t.) To furnish with its match; to bring a match, or equal, against; to show an equal competitor to; to set something in competition with, or in opposition to, as equal.
- (v. i.) To be of equal, or similar, size, figure, color, or quality; to tally; to suit; to correspond; as, these vases match.
- (v.) A perforated board, block of plaster, hardened sand, etc., in which a pattern is partly imbedded when a mold is made, for giving shape to the surfaces of separation between the parts of the mold.
- (v.) A person or thing equal or similar to another; one able to mate or cope with another; an equal; a mate.
- (v.) A bringing together of two parties suited to one another, as for a union, a trial of skill or force, a contest, or the like
- (v. t.) To oppose as equal; to contend successfully against.
- () Alt. of race