Mortification Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MortificationDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Hence: Deprivation or depression of self-approval; abatement or pride; humiliation; chagrin; vexation.
- (n.) A gift to some charitable or religious institution; -- nearly synonymous with mortmain.
- (n.) Destruction of active qualities; neutralization.
- (n.) The act of mortifying, or the condition of being mortified
- (n.) Subjection of the passions and appetites, by penance, absistence, or painful severities inflicted on the body.
- (n.) The death of one part of an animal body, while the rest continues to live; loss of vitality in some part of a living animal; gangrene.
- (n.) That which mortifies; the cause of humiliation, chagrin, or vexation.