Mortifying Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MortifyingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Mortify
- (a.) Tending to mortify; affected by, or having symptoms of, mortification; as, a mortifying wound; mortifying flesh.
- (a.) Tending to humble or abase; humiliating; as, a mortifying repulse.
- (a.) Subduing the appetites, desires, etc.; as, mortifying penances.
• MortifyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To affect with vexation, chagrin, or humiliation; to humble; to depress.
- (v. t.) To deaden by religious or other discipline, as the carnal affections, bodily appetites, or worldly desires; to bring into subjection; to abase; to humble.
- (v. i.) To lose vitality and organic structure, as flesh of a living body; to gangrene.
- (v. t.) To destroy the active powers or essential qualities of; to change by chemical action.
- (v. t.) To destroy the organic texture and vital functions of; to produce gangrene in.
- (v. i.) To be subdued; to decay, as appetites, desires, etc.
- (v. i.) To practice penance from religious motives; to deaden desires by religious discipline.
• MortifyinglyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In a mortifying manner.