Move Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MoveDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of moving one of the pieces, from one position to another, in the progress of the game.
- (v. i.) To act; to take action; to stir; to begin to act; as, to move in a matter.
- (v. i.) To change the place of a piece in accordance with the rules of the game.
- (v. t.) To arouse the feelings or passions of; especially, to excite to tenderness or compassion; to touch pathetically; to excite, as an emotion.
- (v. t.) To propose; to recommend; specifically, to propose formally for consideration and determination, in a deliberative assembly; to submit, as a resolution to be adopted; as, to move to adjourn.
- (v. t.) To transfer (a piece or man) from one space or position to another, according to the rules of the game; as, to move a king.
- (v. i.) To change residence; to remove, as from one house, town, or state, to another.
- (n.) An act for the attainment of an object; a step in the execution of a plan or purpose.
- (v. t.) To apply to, as for aid.
- (v. t.) To excite to action by the presentation of motives; to rouse by representation, persuasion, or appeal; to influence.
- (v. i.) To change place or posture; to stir; to go, in any manner, from one place or position to another; as, a ship moves rapidly.
- (v. t.) To cause to change place or posture in any manner; to set in motion; to carry, convey, draw, or push from one place to another; to impel; to stir; as, the wind moves a vessel; the horse moves a carriage.
- (n.) The act of moving; a movement.
• MovelessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Motionless; fixed.
• MoverDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A person or thing that imparts motion, or causes change of place; a motor.
- (n.) One who, or that which, excites, instigates, or causes movement, change, etc.; as, movers of sedition.
- (n.) A person or thing that moves, stirs, or changes place.
- (n.) A proposer; one who offers a proposition, or recommends anything for consideration or adoption; as, the mover of a resolution in a legislative body.