Offering Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• OfferingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) That which is offered, esp. in divine service; that which is presented as an expiation or atonement for sin, or as a free gift; a sacrifice; an oblation; as, sin offering.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Offer
- (n.) The act of an offerer; a proffering.
- (n.) A sum of money offered, as in church service; as, a missionary offering. Specif.: (Ch. of Eng.) Personal tithes payable according to custom, either at certain seasons as Christmas or Easter, or on certain occasions as marriages or christenings.
• OfferDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To attempt; to undertake.
- (v. t.) To present in words; to proffer; to make a proposal of; to suggest; as, to offer an opinion. With the infinitive as an objective: To make an offer; to declare ones willingness; as, he offered to help me.
- (v. i.) To make an attempt; to make an essay or a trial; -- used with at.
- (v. t.) To bid, as a price, reward, or wages; as, to offer a guinea for a ring; to offer a salary or reward.
- (v. t.) The act of offering, bringing forward, proposing, or bidding; a proffer; a first advance.
- (v. t.) To bring to or before; to hold out to; to present for acceptance or rejection; as, to offer a present, or a bribe; to offer ones self in marriage.
- (v. i.) To present itself; to be at hand.
- (v. t.) That which is offered or brought forward; a proposal to be accepted or rejected; a sum offered; a bid.
- (v. t.) To present, as an act of worship; to immolate; to sacrifice; to present in prayer or devotion; -- often with up.
- (v. t.) Attempt; endeavor; essay; as, he made an offer to catch the ball.
- (v. t.) To put in opposition to; to manifest in an offensive way; to threaten; as, to offer violence, attack, etc.