Pair Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• pairDefinition & Meaning in English
- () A union of two conductors, as bars or wires of dissimilar metals joined at their extremities, for producing a thermoelectric current.
- (n.) In a mechanism, two elements, or bodies, which are so applied to each other as to mutually constrain relative motion.
- (n.) Two of a sort; a span; a yoke; a couple; a brace; as, a pair of horses; a pair of oxen.
- (v. i.) To suit; to fit, as a counterpart.
- (n.) A single thing, composed of two pieces fitted to each other and used together; as, a pair of scissors; a pair of tongs; a pair of bellows.
- (n.) Two members of opposite parties or opinion, as in a parliamentary body, who mutually agree not to vote on a given question, or on issues of a party nature during a specified time; as, there were two pairs on the final vote.
- (v. t.) To unite in couples; to form a pair of; to bring together, as things which belong together, or which complement, or are adapted to one another.
- (v. i.) To be joined in paris; to couple; to mate, as for breeding.
- (v. i.) Same as To pair off. See phrase below.
- (n.) A married couple; a man and wife.
- (v. t.) To impair.
- (n.) A number of things resembling one another, or belonging together; a set; as, a pair or flight of stairs. "A pair of beads." Chaucer. Beau. & Fl. "Four pair of stairs." Macaulay. [Now mostly or quite disused, except as to stairs.]
- (v. t.) To engage (ones self) with another of opposite opinions not to vote on a particular question or class of questions.
- (n.) Two things of a kind, similar in form, suited to each other, and intended to be used together; as, a pair of gloves or stockings; a pair of shoes.
• PairedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Pair
• PairingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) See To pair off, under Pair, v. i.
- (v. i.) The act or process of uniting or arranging in pairs or couples.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pair