Picke Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PickeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A small piece of land inclosed with a hedge; a close.
• PickeerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To make a raid for booty; to maraud; also, to skirmish in advance of an army. See Picaroon.
• PicketDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A detached body of troops serving to guard an army from surprise, and to oppose reconnoitering parties of the enemy; -- called also outlying picket.
- (n.) A pointed pale, used in marking fences.
- (n.) A game at cards. See Piquet.
- (v. t.) To tether to, or as to, a picket; as, to picket a horse.
- (v. t.) To guard, as a camp or road, by an outlying picket.
- (n.) By extension, men appointed by a trades union, or other labor organization, to intercept outsiders, and prevent them from working for employers with whom the organization is at variance.
- (v. t.) To torture by compelling to stand with one foot on a pointed stake.
- (n.) A military punishment, formerly resorted to, in which the offender was forced to stand with one foot on a pointed stake.
- (v. t.) To fortify with pointed stakes.
- (v. t.) To inclose or fence with pickets or pales.
- (n.) A stake sharpened or pointed, especially one used in fortification and encampments, to mark bounds and angles; or one used for tethering horses.