Plant Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PlantDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) To furnish, or fit out, with plants; as, to plant a garden, an orchard, or a forest.
- (v. i.) To perform the act of planting.
- (n.) To engender; to generate; to set the germ of.
- (n.) To set up; to install; to instate.
- (n.) The sole of the foot.
- (n.) To furnish with a fixed and organized population; to settle; to establish; as, to plant a colony.
- (n.) To set in the ground for growth, as a young tree, or a vegetable with roots.
- (n.) To put in the ground and cover, as seed for growth; as, to plant maize.
- (n.) A plan; an artifice; a swindle; a trick.
- (n.) The whole machinery and apparatus employed in carrying on a trade or mechanical business; also, sometimes including real estate, and whatever represents investment of capital in the means of carrying on a business, but not including material worked upon or finished products; as, the plant of a foundry, a mill, or a railroad.
- (n.) To introduce and establish the principles or seeds of; as, to plant Christianity among the heathen.
- (n.) A bush, or young tree; a sapling; hence, a stick or staff.
- (n.) An oyster which has been bedded, in distinction from one of natural growth.
- (n.) A vegetable; an organized living being, generally without feeling and voluntary motion, and having, when complete, a root, stem, and leaves, though consisting sometimes only of a single leafy expansion, or a series of cellules, or even a single cellule.
- (n.) A young oyster suitable for transplanting.
- (n.) To set firmly; to fix; to set and direct, or point; as, to plant cannon against a fort; to plant a standard in any place; to plant ones feet on solid ground; to plant ones fist in anothers face.
• PlantarDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the sole of the foot; as, the plantar arteries.
• Plant-caneDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A stalk or shoot of sugar cane of the first growth from the cutting. The growth of the second and following years is of inferior quality, and is called rattoon.