Pride Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PrideDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Proud or disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing and conduct; insolent exultation; disdain.
- (n.) The quality or state of being proud; inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of ones own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, rank, etc., which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.
- (n.) Show; ostentation; glory.
- (n.) A small European lamprey (Petromyzon branchialis); -- called also prid, and sandpiper.
- (n.) A sense of ones own worth, and abhorrence of what is beneath or unworthy of one; lofty self-respect; noble self-esteem; elevation of character; dignified bearing; proud delight; -- in a good sense.
- (v. t.) To indulge in pride, or self-esteem; to rate highly; to plume; -- used reflexively.
- (n.) That of which one is proud; that which excites boasting or self-gratulation; the occasion or ground of self-esteem, or of arrogant and presumptuous confidence, as beauty, ornament, noble character, children, etc.
- (v. i.) To be proud; to glory.
- (n.) Consciousness of power; fullness of animal spirits; mettle; wantonness; hence, lust; sexual desire; esp., an excitement of sexual appetite in a female beast.
- (n.) Highest pitch; elevation reached; loftiness; prime; glory; as, to be in the pride of ones life.
• PridelessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Without pride.