Ray Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RayDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One of the spheromeres of a radiate, especially one of the arms of a starfish or an ophiuran.
- (n.) One of the radiating spines, or cartilages, supporting the fins of fishes.
- (n.) To send forth or shoot out; to cause to shine out; as, to ray smiles.
- (v. i.) To shine, as with rays.
- (n.) Any one of numerous elasmobranch fishes of the order Raiae, including the skates, torpedoes, sawfishes, etc.
- (v. t.) To mark, stain, or soil; to streak; to defile.
- (n.) Array; order; arrangement; dress.
- (n.) A line of light or heat proceeding from a radiant or reflecting point; a single element of light or heat propagated continuously; as, a solar ray; a polarized ray.
- (n.) A radiating part of a flower or plant; the marginal florets of a compound flower, as an aster or a sunflower; one of the pedicels of an umbel or other circular flower cluster; radius. See Radius.
- (n.) One of the component elements of the total radiation from a body; any definite or limited portion of the spectrum; as, the red ray; the violet ray. See Illust. under Light.
- (v. t.) To array.
- (n.) One of a number of lines or parts diverging from a common point or center, like the radii of a circle; as, a star of six rays.
- (n.) To mark with long lines; to streak.
- (n.) In a restricted sense, any of the broad, flat, narrow-tailed species, as the skates and sting rays. See Skate.
- (n.) One of a system of diverging lines passing through a point, and regarded as extending indefinitely in both directions. See Half-ray.
- (n.) Sight; perception; vision; -- from an old theory of vision, that sight was something which proceeded from the eye to the object seen.
• RaylessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Destitute of rays; hence, dark; not illuminated; blind; as, a rayless sky; rayless eyes.
• RayingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Ray