Rear Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RearDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To bring up to maturity, as young; to educate; to instruct; to foster; as, to rear offspring.
- (v. i.) To rise up on the hind legs, as a horse; to become erect.
- (v. t.) To place in the rear; to secure the rear of.
- (v. t.) To rouse; to stir up.
- (v. t.) To lift and take up.
- (v. t.) To erect by building; to set up; to construct; as, to rear defenses or houses; to rear one government on the ruins of another.
- (n.) The back or hindmost part; that which is behind, or last in order; -- opposed to front.
- (a.) Being behind, or in the hindmost part; hindmost; as, the rear rank of a company.
- (adv.) Early; soon.
- (v. t.) To raise; to lift up; to cause to rise, become erect, etc.; to elevate; as, to rear a monolith.
- (n.) Specifically, the part of an army or fleet which comes last, or is stationed behind the rest.
- (v. t.) To breed and raise; as, to rear cattle.
• RearerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who, or that which, rears.