Rigor Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RigorDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) See 1st Rigor, 2.
- (n.) Exactness without allowance, deviation, or indulgence; strictness; as, the rigor of criticism; to execute a law with rigor; to enforce moral duties with rigor; -- opposed to lenity.
- (n.) The becoming stiff or rigid; the state of being rigid; rigidity; stiffness; hardness.
- (n.) Severity of life; austerity; voluntary submission to pain, abstinence, or mortification.
- (n.) Stiffness of opinion or temper; rugged sternness; hardness; relentless severity; hard-heartedness; cruelty.
- (n.) Severity of climate or season; inclemency; as, the rigor of the storm; the rigors of winter.
- (n.) A sense of chilliness, with contraction of the skin; a convulsive shuddering or tremor, as in the chill preceding a fever.
- (n.) Rigidity; stiffness.
- (n.) Violence; force; fury.
• RigorousDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous definition or demonstration.
- (a.) Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter.
- (a.) Violent.