Rot Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RotDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A fatal distemper which attacks sheep and sometimes other animals. It is due to the presence of a parasitic worm in the liver or gall bladder. See 1st Fluke, 2.
- (n.) Process of rotting; decay; putrefaction.
- (v. i.) To undergo a process common to organic substances by which they lose the cohesion of their parts and pass through certain chemical changes, giving off usually in some stages of the process more or less offensive odors; to become decomposed by a natural process; to putrefy; to decay.
- (v. i.) Figuratively: To perish slowly; to decay; to die; to become corrupt.
- (v. t.) To expose, as flax, to a process of maceration, etc., for the purpose of separating the fiber; to ret.
- (v. t.) To make putrid; to cause to be wholly or partially decomposed by natural processes; as, to rot vegetable fiber.
- (n.) A disease or decay in fruits, leaves, or wood, supposed to be caused by minute fungi. See Bitter rot, Black rot, etc., below.
• RotaliteDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Any fossil foraminifer of the genus Rotalia, abundant in the chalk formation. See Illust. under Rhizopod.