Sad Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SadDefinition & Meaning in English
- (supperl.) Hence, bad; naughty; troublesome; wicked.
- (supperl.) Affected with grief or unhappiness; cast down with affliction; downcast; gloomy; mournful.
- (supperl.) Heavy; weighty; ponderous; close; hard.
- (supperl.) Dull; grave; dark; somber; -- said of colors.
- (v. t.) To make sorrowful; to sadden.
- (supperl.) Sated; satisfied; weary; tired.
- (supperl.) Afflictive; calamitous; causing sorrow; as, a sad accident; a sad misfortune.
- (supperl.) Serious; grave; sober; steadfast; not light or frivolous.
• SaddleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A ridge connected two higher elevations; a low point in the crest line of a ridge; a col.
- (n.) A formation of gold-bearing quartz occurring along the crest of an anticlinal fold, esp. in Australia.
- (n.) A piece of meat containing a part of the backbone of an animal with the ribs on each side; as, a saddle of mutton, of venison, etc.
- (v. t.) To put a saddle upon; to equip (a beast) for riding.
- (n.) The clitellus of an earthworm.
- (n.) A seat for a rider, -- usually made of leather, padded to span comfortably a horses back, furnished with stirrups for the riders feet to rest in, and fastened in place with a girth; also, a seat for the rider on a bicycle or tricycle.
- (n.) A part, as a flange, which is hollowed out to fit upon a convex surface and serve as a means of attachment or support.
- (v. t.) Hence: To fix as a charge or burden upon; to load; to encumber; as, to saddle a town with the expense of bridges and highways.
- (n.) A padded part of a harness which is worn on a horses back, being fastened in place with a girth. It serves various purposes, as to keep the breeching in place, carry guides for the reins, etc.
- (n.) The threshold of a door, when a separate piece from the floor or landing; -- so called because it spans and covers the joint between two floors.
- (n.) A block of wood, usually fastened to some spar, and shaped to receive the end of another spar.
• SaddaDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A work in the Persian tongue, being a summary of the Zend-Avesta, or sacred books.
• SaddlebagsDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n. pl.) Bags, usually of leather, united by straps or a band, formerly much used by horseback riders to carry small articles, one bag hanging on each side.