Scrap Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ScrapDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) Specifically, a fragment of something written or printed; a brief excerpt; an unconnected extract.
- (v. t.) Same as Scrap iron, below.
- (v. t.) The crisp substance that remains after drying out animal fat; as, pork scraps.
- (v. t.) Something scraped off; hence, a small piece; a bit; a fragment; a detached, incomplete portion.
• ScrapeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence, as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; -- usually with down.
- (v. i.) To occupy ones self with getting laboriously; as, he scraped and saved until he became rich.
- (v. i.) To rub over the surface of anything with something which roughens or removes it, or which smooths or cleans it; to rub harshly and noisily along.
- (n.) A drawing back of the right foot when bowing; also, a bow made with that accompaniment.
- (v. i.) To play awkwardly and inharmoniously on a violin or like instrument.
- (v. t.) To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).
- (v. i.) To draw back the right foot along the ground or floor when making a bow.
- (n.) The act of scraping; also, the effect of scraping, as a scratch, or a harsh sound; as, a noisy scrape on the floor; a scrape of a pen.
- (v. t.) To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to gather in small portions by laborious effort; hence, to acquire avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up; as, to scrape money together.
- (v. t.) To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure, cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean; as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even surface.
- (n.) A disagreeable and embarrassing predicament out of which one can not get without undergoing, as it were, a painful rubbing or scraping; a perplexity; a difficulty.
• ScrapingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Something scraped off; that which is separated from a substance, or is collected by scraping; as, the scraping of the street.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Scrape
- (a.) Resembling the act of, or the effect produced by, one who, or that which, scrapes; as, a scraping noise; a scraping miser.
- (n.) The act of scraping; the act or process of making even, or reducing to the proper form, by means of a scraper.