Shackle Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ShackleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To tie or confine the limbs of, so as to prevent free motion; to bind with shackles; to fetter; to chain.
- (n.) Stubble.
- (n.) Hence, that which checks or prevents free action.
- (n.) A fetterlike band worn as an ornament.
- (n.) A link for connecting railroad cars; -- called also drawlink, draglink, etc.
- (n.) A link or loop, as in a chain, fitted with a movable bolt, so that the parts can be separated, or the loop removed; a clevis.
- (n.) The hinged and curved bar of a padlock, by which it is hung to the staple.
- (n.) Something which confines the legs or arms so as to prevent their free motion; specifically, a ring or band inclosing the ankle or wrist, and fastened to a similar shackle on the other leg or arm, or to something else, by a chain or a strap; a gyve; a fetter.
- (v. t.) To join by a link or chain, as railroad cars.
- (v. t.) Figuratively: To bind or confine so as to prevent or embarrass action; to impede; to cumber.
• ShackledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Shackle