Shorten Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ShortenDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To become short or shorter; as, the day shortens in northern latitudes from June to December; a metallic rod shortens by cold.
- (a.) To make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard, pot liquor, or the like.
- (a.) To make short or shorter in measure, extent, or time; as, to shorten distance; to shorten a road; to shorten days of calamity.
- (a.) To make deficient (as to); to deprive; -- with of.
- (a.) To reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to lessen; to abridge; to curtail; to contract; as, to shorten work, an allowance of food, etc.
• ShorteningDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Shorten
- (n.) The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
- (n.) That which renders pastry short or friable, as butter, lard, etc.