Sit Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SitDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cover and warm eggs for hatching, as a fowl; to brood; to incubate.
- (v. t.) To lie, rest, or bear; to press or weigh; -- with on; as, a weight or burden sits lightly upon him.
- (v. t.) To have position, as at the point blown from; to hold a relative position; to have direction.
- (v. t.) To rest upon the haunches, or the lower extremity of the trunk of the body; -- said of human beings, and sometimes of other animals; as, to sit on a sofa, on a chair, or on the ground.
- () obs. 3d pers. sing. pres. of Sit, for sitteth.
- (v. t.) To occupy a place or seat as a member of an official body; as, to sit in Congress.
- (v. t.) To take a position for the purpose of having some artistic representation of ones self made, as a picture or a bust; as, to sit to a painter.
- (v. t.) To be adjusted; to fit; as, a coat sts well or ill.
- (v. t.) To suit one well or ill, as an act; to become; to befit; -- used impersonally.
- (v. t.) To sit upon; to keep ones seat upon; as, he sits a horse well.
- (v. t.) To remain in a state of repose; to rest; to abide; to rest in any position or condition.
- (v. t.) To perch; to rest with the feet drawn up, as birds do on a branch, pole, etc.
- (v. t.) To suit (well / ill); to become.
- (v. t.) To hold a session; to be in session for official business; -- said of legislative assemblies, courts, etc.; as, the court sits in January; the aldermen sit to-night.
- (v. t.) To cause to be seated or in a sitting posture; to furnish a seat to; -- used reflexively.
• SiththenDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv. & conj.) See Sithen.
• SithDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Alt. of Sithe
- (prep., adv., & conj.) Since; afterwards; seeing that.