Spout Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SpoutDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To issue with with violence, or in a jet, as a liquid through a narrow orifice, or from a spout; as, water spouts from a hole; blood spouts from an artery.
- (v. t.) That through which anything spouts; a discharging lip, pipe, or orifice; a tube, pipe, or conductor of any kind through which a liquid is poured, or by which it is conveyed in a stream from one place to another; as, the spout of a teapot; a spout for conducting water from the roof of a building.
- (v. t.) To utter magniloquently; to recite in an oratorical or pompous manner.
- (v. i.) To eject water or liquid in a jet.
- (v. t.) A discharge or jet of water or other liquid, esp. when rising in a column; also, a waterspout.
- (v. i.) To utter a speech, especially in a pompous manner.
- (v. t.) A trough for conducting grain, flour, etc., into a receptacle.
- (v. t.) To throw out forcibly and abudantly, as liquids through an office or a pipe; to eject in a jet; as, an elephant spouts water from his trunk.
- (v. t.) To pawn; to pledge; as, spout a watch.
• SpoutlessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having no spout.
• SpoutfishDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A marine animal that spouts water; -- applied especially to certain bivalve mollusks, like the long clams (Mya), which spout, or squirt out, water when retiring into their holes.