Stinging Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StingingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Piercing, or capable of piercing, with a sting; inflicting acute pain as if with a sting, goad, or pointed weapon; pungent; biting; as, stinging cold; a stinging rebuke.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sting
• StingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) Anything that gives acute pain, bodily or mental; as, the stings of remorse; the stings of reproach.
- (v. t.) A sharp-pointed hollow hair seated on a gland which secrets an acrid fluid, as in nettles. The points of these hairs usually break off in the wound, and the acrid fluid is pressed into it.
- (v. t.) To pierce or wound with a sting; as, bees will sting an animal that irritates them; the nettles stung his hands.
- (v. t.) To goad; to incite, as by taunts or reproaches.
- (v. t.) The thrust of a sting into the flesh; the act of stinging; a wound inflicted by stinging.
- (v. t.) To pain acutely; as, the conscience is stung with remorse; to bite.
- (v. t.) A goad; incitement.
- (v. t.) The point of an epigram or other sarcastic saying.
- (v. t.) Any sharp organ of offense and defense, especially when connected with a poison gland, and adapted to inflict a wound by piercing; as the caudal sting of a scorpion. The sting of a bee or wasp is a modified ovipositor. The caudal sting, or spine, of a sting ray is a modified dorsal fin ray. The term is sometimes applied to the fang of a serpent. See Illust. of Scorpion.