Stumped Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StumpedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stump
• StumpDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One of the three pointed rods stuck in the ground to form a wicket and support the bails.
- (n.) To put (a batsman) out of play by knocking off the bail, or knocking down the stumps of the wicket he is defending while he is off his allotted ground; -- sometimes with out.
- (v. t.) To strike, as the toes, against a stone or something fixed; to stub.
- (v. t.) To cut off a part of; to reduce to a stump; to lop.
- (n.) A short, thick roll of leather or paper, cut to a point, or any similar implement, used to rub down the lines of a crayon or pencil drawing, in shading it, or for shading drawings by producing tints and gradations from crayon, etc., in powder.
- (n.) A pin in a tumbler lock which forms an obstruction to throwing the bolt, except when the gates of the tumblers are properly arranged, as by the key; a fence; also, a pin or projection in a lock to form a guide for a movable piece.
- (v. t.) To challenge; also, to nonplus.
- (n.) The part of a tree or plant remaining in the earth after the stem or trunk is cut off; the stub.
- (v. t.) To travel over, delivering speeches for electioneering purposes; as, to stump a State, or a district. See To go on the stump, under Stump, n.
- (n.) To bowl down the stumps of, as, of a wicket.
- (v. i.) To walk clumsily, as if on stumps.
- (n.) The part of a limb or other body remaining after a part is amputated or destroyed; a fixed or rooted remnant; a stub; as, the stump of a leg, a finger, a tooth, or a broom.
- (n.) The legs; as, to stir ones stumps.