Surprise Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SurpriseDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of coming upon, or taking, unawares; the act of seizing unexpectedly; surprisal; as, the fort was taken by surprise.
- (n.) To come or fall suddenly and unexpectedly; to take unawares; to seize or capture by unexpected attack.
- (n.) To strike with wonder, astonishment, or confusion, by something sudden, unexpected, or remarkable; to confound; as, his conduct surprised me.
- (n.) Anything that causes such a state or emotion.
- (n.) To lead (one) to do suddenly and without forethought; to bring (one) into some unexpected state; -- with into; as, to be surprised into an indiscretion; to be surprised into generosity.
- (n.) To hold possession of; to hold.
- (n.) A dish covered with a crust of raised paste, but with no other contents.
- (n.) The state of being surprised, or taken unawares, by some act or event which could not reasonably be foreseen; emotion excited by what is sudden and strange; a suddenly excited feeling of wonder or astonishment.
• SurprisementDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Surprisal.