Sustaining Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SustainingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Sustain
• SustainDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To keep from falling; to bear; to uphold; to support; as, a foundation sustains the superstructure; a beast sustains a load; a rope sustains a weight.
- (v. t.) Hence, to keep from sinking, as in despondence, or the like; to support.
- (v. t.) To maintain; to keep alive; to support; to subsist; to nourish; as, provisions to sustain an army.
- (v. t.) To allow the prosecution of; to admit as valid; to sanction; to continue; not to dismiss or abate; as, the court sustained the action or suit.
- (v. t.) To suffer; to bear; to undergo.
- (n.) One who, or that which, upholds or sustains; a sustainer.
- (v. t.) To prove; to establish by evidence; to corroborate or confirm; to be conclusive of; as, to sustain a charge, an accusation, or a proposition.
- (v. t.) To endure without failing or yielding; to bear up under; as, to sustain defeat and disappointment.
- (v. t.) To aid, comfort, or relieve; to vindicate.