Tided Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TidedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Affected by the tide; having a tide.
• TidDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Tender; soft; nice; -- now only used in tidbit.
• TideDefinition & Meaning in English
- (prep.) Time; period; season.
- (v. t.) To cause to float with the tide; to drive or carry with the tide or stream.
- (prep.) The alternate rising and falling of the waters of the ocean, and of bays, rivers, etc., connected therewith. The tide ebbs and flows twice in each lunar day, or the space of a little more than twenty-four hours. It is occasioned by the attraction of the sun and moon (the influence of the latter being three times that of the former), acting unequally on the waters in different parts of the earth, thus disturbing their equilibrium. A high tide upon one side of the earth is accompanied by a high tide upon the opposite side. Hence, when the sun and moon are in conjunction or opposition, as at new moon and full moon, their action is such as to produce a greater than the usual tide, called the spring tide, as represented in the cut. When the moon is in the first or third quarter, the suns attraction in part counteracts the effect of the moons attraction, thus producing under the moon a smaller tide than usual, called the neap tide.
- (prep.) The period of twelve hours.
- (n.) To work into or out of a river or harbor by drifting with the tide and anchoring when it becomes adverse.
- (prep.) Violent confluence.
- (n.) To pour a tide or flood.
- (n.) To betide; to happen.
- (prep.) A stream; current; flood; as, a tide of blood.
- (prep.) Tendency or direction of causes, influences, or events; course; current.