Toast Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ToastDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To warm thoroughly; as, to toast the feet.
- (v.) Bread dried and browned before a fire, usually in slices; also, a kind of food prepared by putting slices of toasted bread into milk, gravy, etc.
- (v. t.) To name when a health is proposed to be drunk; to drink to the health, or in honor, of; as, to toast a lady.
- (v.) A lady in honor of whom persons or a company are invited to drink; -- so called because toasts were formerly put into the liquor, as a great delicacy.
- (v.) Hence, any person, especially a person of distinction, in honor of whom a health is drunk; hence, also, anything so commemorated; a sentiment, as "The land we live in," "The day we celebrate," etc.
- (v. t.) To dry and brown by the heat of a fire; as, to toast bread.
• ToasterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A kitchen utensil for toasting bread, cheese, etc.
- (n.) One who toasts.