Tort Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TortDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Stretched tight; taut.
- (n.) Mischief; injury; calamity.
- (n.) Any civil wrong or injury; a wrongful act (not involving a breach of contract) for which an action will lie; a form of action, in some parts of the United States, for a wrong or injury.
• TortureDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Extreme pain; anguish of body or mind; pang; agony; torment; as, torture of mind.
- (v. t.) To keep on the stretch, as a bow.
- (v. t.) To put to torture; to pain extremely; to harass; to vex.
- (v. t.) To punish with torture; to put to the rack; as, to torture an accused person.
- (v. t.) To wrest from the proper meaning; to distort.
- (n.) The act or process of torturing.
- (n.) Especially, severe pain inflicted judicially, either as punishment for a crime, or for the purpose of extorting a confession from an accused person, as by water or fire, by the boot or thumbkin, or by the rack or wheel.