Trim Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TrimDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The state of a ship or her cargo, ballast, masts, etc., by which she is well prepared for sailing.
- (v. t.) To dress, as timber; to make smooth.
- (n.) The lighter woodwork in the interior of a building; especially, that used around openings, generally in the form of a molded architrave, to protect the plastering at those points.
- (v. t.) Fitly adjusted; being in good order., or made ready for service or use; firm; compact; snug; neat; fair; as, the ship is trim, or trim built; everything about the man is trim; a person is trim when his body is well shaped and firm; his dress is trim when it fits closely to his body, and appears tight and snug; a man or a soldier is trim when he stands erect.
- (v. t.) To make trim; to put in due order for any purpose; to make right, neat, or pleasing; to adjust.
- (n.) Dress; gear; ornaments.
- (v. t.) To dress; to decorate; to adorn; to invest; to embellish; as, to trim a hat.
- (v. i.) To balance; to fluctuate between parties, so as to appear to favor each.
- (v. t.) To arrange in due order for sailing; as, to trim the sails.
- (n.) Order; disposition; condition; as, to be in good trim.
- (v. t.) To adjust, as a ship, by arranging the cargo, or disposing the weight of persons or goods, so equally on each side of the center and at each end, that she shall sit well on the water and sail well; as, to trim a ship, or a boat.
- (v. t.) To rebuke; to reprove; also, to beat.
- (v. t.) To make ready or right by cutting or shortening; to clip or lop; to curtail; as, to trim the hair; to trim a tree.
• TrimurtiDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The triad, or trinity, of Hindu gods, consisting of Brahma, the Creator, Vishnu, the Preserver, and Siva, the Destroyer.
• TrimembralDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having, or consisting of, three members.