Trunk Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TrunkDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) That part of a pilaster which is between the base and the capital, corresponding to the shaft of a column.
- (n.) The stem, or body, of a tree, apart from its limbs and roots; the main stem, without the branches; stock; stalk.
- (n.) A large pipe forming the piston rod of a steam engine, of sufficient diameter to allow one end of the connecting rod to be attached to the crank, and the other end to pass within the pipe directly to the piston, thus making the engine more compact.
- (n.) The proboscis of an insect.
- (n.) The main body of anything; as, the trunk of a vein or of an artery, as distinct from the branches.
- (n.) A long tube through which pellets of clay, p/as, etc., are driven by the force of the breath.
- (n.) That segment of the body of an insect which is between the head and abdomen, and bears the wings and legs; the thorax; the truncus.
- (n.) The body of an animal, apart from the head and limbs.
- (n.) The proboscis of an elephant.
- (n.) A flume or sluice in which ores are separated from the slimes in which they are contained.
- (n.) A box or chest usually covered with leather, metal, or cloth, or sometimes made of leather, hide, or metal, for containing clothes or other goods; especially, one used to convey the effects of a traveler.
- (v. t.) To lop off; to curtail; to truncate; to maim.
- (n.) A long, large box, pipe, or conductor, made of plank or metal plates, for various uses, as for conveying air to a mine or to a furnace, water to a mill, grain to an elevator, etc.
- (v. t.) To extract (ores) from the slimes in which they are contained, by means of a trunk. See Trunk, n., 9.
• Trunk pistonDefinition & Meaning in English
- () In a single-acting engine, an elongated hollow piston, open at the end, in which the end of the connecting rod is pivoted. The piston rod, crosshead and stuffing box are thus dispensed with.
• TrunkworkDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Work or devices suitable to be concealed; a secret stratagem.