Whig Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• WhigDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A friend and supporter of the American Revolution; -- opposed to Tory, and Royalist.
- (n.) One of a political party which grew up in England in the seventeenth century, in the reigns of Charles I. and II., when great contests existed respecting the royal prerogatives and the rights of the people. Those who supported the king in his high claims were called Tories, and the advocates of popular rights, of parliamentary power over the crown, and of toleration to Dissenters, were, after 1679, called Whigs. The terms Liberal and Radical have now generally superseded Whig in English politics. See the note under Tory.
- (n.) Acidulated whey, sometimes mixed with buttermilk and sweet herbs, used as a cooling beverage.
- (n.) One of the political party in the United States from about 1829 to 1856, opposed in politics to the Democratic party.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the Whigs.
• WhiggismDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The principles of the Whigs.