• Tonic Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Characterized by continuous muscular contraction; as, tonic convulsions.
- (a.) Of or relating to tones or sounds; specifically (Phon.), applied to, or distingshing, a speech sound made with tone unmixed and undimmed by obstruction, such sounds, namely, the vowels and diphthongs, being so called by Dr. James Rush (1833) " from their forming the purest and most plastic material of intonation."
- (n.) A medicine that increases the strength, and gives vigor of action to the system.
- (a.) Increasing strength, or the tone of the animal system; obviating the effects of debility, and restoring healthy functions.
- (n.) A tonic element or letter; a vowel or a diphthong.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to tension; increasing tension; hence, increasing strength; as, tonic power.
- (n.) The key tone, or first tone of any scale.
• Tonicity Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The state of healthy tension or partial contraction of muscle fibers while at rest; tone; tonus.
• Tonical Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Tonic.