• Argus Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One very vigilant; a guardian always watchful.
- (n.) A fabulous being of antiquity, said to have had a hundred eyes, who has placed by Juno to guard Io. His eyes were transplanted to the peacocks tail.
- (n.) A genus of East Indian pheasants. The common species (A. giganteus) is remarkable for the great length and beauty of the wing and tail feathers of the male. The species A. Grayi inhabits Borneo.
• Argus-eyed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Extremely observant; watchful; sharp-sighted.
• Argus shell Definition & Synonyms
- () A species of shell (Cypraea argus), beautifully variegated with spots resembling those in a peacocks tail.