• But Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A mark to be shot at; a target.
- (adv. & conj.) Only; solely; merely.
- (v. t.) A thrust in fencing.
- (v. t.) The joint where two planks in a strake meet.
- (v. t.) The hut or shelter of the person who attends to the targets in rifle practice.
- (n.) The end; esp. the larger or thicker end, or the blunt, in distinction from the sharp, end. See 1st Butt.
- (prep., adv. & conj.) The outer apartment or kitchen of a two-roomed house; -- opposed to ben, the inner room.
- (v. t.) A limit; a bound; a goal; the extreme bound; the end.
- (v. t.) A piece of land left unplowed at the end of a field.
- (adv. & conj.) On the contrary; on the other hand; only; yet; still; however; nevertheless; more; further; -- as connective of sentences or clauses of a sentence, in a sense more or less exceptive or adversative; as, the House of Representatives passed the bill, but the Senate dissented; our wants are many, but quite of another kind.
- (v. t.) A kind of hinge used in hanging doors, etc.; -- so named because fastened on the edge of the door, which butts against the casing, instead of on its face, like the strap hinge; also called butt hinge.
- (v. i.) See Butt, v., and Abut, v.
- (v. t.) The end of a connecting rod or other like piece, to which the boxing is attached by the strap, cotter, and gib.
- (v. t.) The thicker end of anything. See But.
- (adv. & conj.) Otherwise than that; that not; -- commonly, after a negative, with that.
- (v. t.) A person at whom ridicule, jest, or contempt is directed; as, the butt of the company.
- (n.) A limit; a boundary.
- (adv. & conj.) Except with; unless with; without.
- (v. t.) The thickest and stoutest part of tanned oxhides, used for soles of boots, harness, trunks.
- (adv. & conj.) Except; besides; save.
- (v. t.) The portion of a half-coupling fastened to the end of a hose.
- (v. t.) A push, thrust, or sudden blow, given by the head of an animal; as, the butt of a ram.
- (v. t.) A joint where the ends of two objects come squarely together without scarfing or chamfering; -- also called butt joint.
- (adv. & conj.) Excepting or excluding the fact that; save that; were it not that; unless; -- elliptical, for but that.
• Butyryl Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The radical (C4H7O) of butyric acid.
• Butt joint Definition & Synonyms
- () A joint in which the edges or ends of the pieces united come squarely together instead of overlapping. See 1st Butt, 8.