• Commander Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A chief; one who has supreme authority; a leader; the chief officer of an army, or of any division of it.
- (n.) A heavy beetle or wooden mallet, used in paving, in sail lofts, etc.
- (n.) The chief officer of a commandery.
- (n.) An officer who ranks next below a captain, -- ranking with a lieutenant colonel in the army.
• Commanderies Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Commandery
• Commandery Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A district or a manor with lands and tenements appertaining thereto, under the control of a member of an order of knights who was called a commander; -- called also a preceptory.
- (n.) The office or rank of a commander.
- (n.) A district under the administration of a military commander or governor.
- (n.) An assembly or lodge of Knights Templars (so called) among the Freemasons.