• Discern Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To see or understand the difference; to make distinction; as, to discern between good and evil, truth and falsehood.
- (v. t.) To see by the eye or by the understanding; to perceive and recognize; as, to discern a difference.
- (v. i.) To make cognizance.
- (v. t.) To see and identify by noting a difference or differences; to note the distinctive character of; to discriminate; to distinguish.
• Discerning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Discern
- (a.) Acute; shrewd; sagacious; sharp-sighted.
• Discernment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of discerning.
- (n.) The power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another; power of viewing differences in objects, and their relations and tendencies; penetrative and discriminate mental vision; acuteness; sagacity; insight; as, the errors of youth often proceed from the want of discernment.