• Hackneyed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Hackney
• Hackney Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To carry in a hackney coach.
- (v. t.) To devote to common or frequent use, as a horse or carriage; to wear out in common service; to make trite or commonplace; as, a hackneyed metaphor or quotation.
- (n.) A carriage kept for hire; a hack; a hackney coach.
- (n.) A horse for riding or driving; a nag; a pony.
- (a.) Let out for hire; devoted to common use; hence, much used; trite; mean; as, hackney coaches; hackney authors.
- (n.) A hired drudge; a hireling; a prostitute.
- (n.) A horse or pony kept for hire.