• High Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Very abstract; difficult to comprehend or surmount; grand; noble.
- (n.) People of rank or high station; as, high and low.
- (superl.) Exalted in social standing or general estimation, or in rank, reputation, office, and the like; dignified; as, she was welcomed in the highest circles.
- (superl.) Strong-scented; slightly tainted; as, epicures do not cook game before it is high.
- (superl.) Arrogant; lofty; boastful; proud; ostentatious; -- used in a bad sense.
- (adv.) In a high manner; in a high place; to a great altitude; to a great degree; largely; in a superior manner; eminently; powerfully.
- (superl.) Elevated in character or quality, whether moral or intellectual; preeminent; honorable; as, high aims, or motives.
- (superl.) Costly; dear in price; extravagant; as, to hold goods at a high price.
- (n.) An elevated place; a superior region; a height; the sky; heaven.
- (superl.) Made with a high position of some part of the tongue in relation to the palate, as / (/ve), / (f/d). See Guide to Pronunciation, // 10, 11.
- (superl.) Possessing a characteristic quality in a supreme or superior degree; as, high (i. e., intense) heat; high (i. e., full or quite) noon; high (i. e., rich or spicy) seasoning; high (i. e., complete) pleasure; high (i. e., deep or vivid) color; high (i. e., extensive, thorough) scholarship, etc.
- (v. i.) To hie.
- (superl.) Elevated above any starting point of measurement, as a line, or surface; having altitude; lifted up; raised or extended in the direction of the zenith; lofty; tall; as, a high mountain, tower, tree; the sun is high.
- (n.) The highest card dealt or drawn.
- (v. i.) To rise; as, the sun higheth.
- (superl.) Regarded as raised up or elevated; distinguished; remarkable; conspicuous; superior; -- used indefinitely or relatively, and often in figurative senses, which are understood from the connection
- (superl.) Of noble birth; illustrious; as, of high family.
- (superl.) Acute or sharp; -- opposed to grave or low; as, a high note.
- (superl.) Of great strength, force, importance, and the like; strong; mighty; powerful; violent; sometimes, triumphant; victorious; majestic, etc.; as, a high wind; high passions.
• High-raised Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Elated with great ideas or hopes.
- (a.) Elevated; raised aloft; upreared.
• High-stomached Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having a lofty spirit; haughty.