• Horizon Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The circle which bounds that part of the earths surface visible to a spectator from a given point; the apparent junction of the earth and sky.
- (n.) A plane parallel to the sensible horizon of a place, and passing through the earths center; -- called also rational / celestial horizon.
- (n.) The epoch or time during which a deposit was made.
- (n.) The unbroken line separating sky and water, as seen by an eye at a given elevation, no land being visible.
- (n.) The chief horizontal line in a picture of any sort, which determines in the picture the height of the eye of the spectator; in an extended landscape, the representation of the natural horizon corresponds with this line.
- (n.) A plane passing through the eye of the spectator and at right angles to the vertical at a given place; a plane tangent to the earths surface at that place; called distinctively the sensible horizon.
• Horizontal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Parallel to the horizon; on a level; as, a horizontalline or surface.
- (a.) Measured or contained in a plane of the horizon; as, horizontal distance.
- (a.) Pertaining to, or near, the horizon.