• Indexes Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Index
• Index Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That which guides, points out, informs, or directs; a pointer or a hand that directs to anything, as the hand of a watch, a movable finger on a gauge, scale, or other graduated instrument. In printing, a sign used to direct particular attention to a note or paragraph; -- called also fist.
- (n.) The second digit, that next pollex, in the manus, or hand; the forefinger; index finger.
- (n.) The figure or letter which shows the power or root of a quantity; the exponent.
- (v. t.) To provide with an index or table of references; to put into an index; as, to index a book, or its contents.
- (n.) That which points out; that which shows, indicates, manifests, or discloses.
- (n.) A prologue indicating what follows.
- (n.) A table for facilitating reference to topics, names, and the like, in a book; -- usually alphabetical in arrangement, and printed at the end of the volume.
- (n.) The ratio, or formula expressing the ratio, of one dimension of a thing to another dimension; as, the vertical index of the cranium.